I'm in mourning for an old friend. I'm depressed. Together with his eight siblings, Pluto is the guy with whom I grew up. As the unwanted love weakling into a herd of wildebeest on the Serengeti plains in East Africa, Pluto was racially profiled a dwarf, stripped naked, pushed out of the family, rejected and condemned, forever the great emptiness of space, alone and forgotten walking. After years of my youth in the wonderful Hayden Planetarium, little sister to an olderBrother's obsession with astronomy, I also developed a strong sense of connectedness to the mysteries of what's out there. Comets and asteroids come and go, but a planet is a thing of beauty forever.

During my college years was the 200-inch reflector at Mount Palomar Observatory in California, the largest telescope in the world, and the subject of an essay I wrote about traveling planetary gear. I could not wait to get home so I my family with what I had learned by heart, could impress on the exact size youeach planet and its distance in miles from the Earth to the sun. As she fell asleep, took the life and sent me into a different trajectory. The last time I had a really good look it up in the backyard of a friend who was his own ground lenses and built his own telescope. It was a blast.

Thanks to the 20 Century astrophysics, scientists have gained an understanding of the process of stellar evolution, they can determine the age of our sun from birth to the inevitabledemise billions of years from now. Today our sun is known as a "middle-aged star" that will grow larger and brighter as it ages, reaching its peak as a "red giant," before beginning to shrink, flare up again, and then literally fade away as an old "white dwarf." By then it will have lived a long contented life. Not so for old number Nine. Pluto was just beginning to enjoy his place in space when suddenly he was humiliated, kicked out of the club, and lumped together with some bum called Quaoar in the icy Kuiper asteroid belt.

In typical elitist, "croaked the New York Times big thing and shrugged his shoulders in the news. Here is what wrote one of his best-known journalists. "Redefinition of the astronomers that Pluto demoted somewhat changed nothing, as officials often come with redefinitions to try to tough situations go away." Clyde Haberman, New York Times, 25 August 2006.

Jeez Mr. Haberman. It has made the city a cynic, that such abore? Where is your compassion? Where is the wonder of your childhood? Have you no imagination? Don't compare government hacks with the messengers of the gods. The spacecraft New Horizons was launched in January 2006. It is expected to reach Pluto in 2015. If I'd known Pluto's fate I'd have hitched a ride to my castoff lonely old friend. At least I still know where to find him.

"Simplicity-Courage-Humor-Soul"®



Recommend : Sale More for your Pets Find your best notebooks Amazon on Sale @ Amasell's Blog young and hungry men

0 comments:

Post a Comment